Squash and Sausage Shepherd’s Pie
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 15 mins to 20 mins
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage or lean ground beef (85%)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 8 – ounce package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 28 – ounce can crushed tomatoes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Sliced green onion (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat six 10 to 12-ounce individual casseroles with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven cook squash in lightly salted boiling water, covered, for 15 to 17 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain; return to Dutch oven. Mash with butter, Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- In a large skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon until no longer pink. Transfer meat to a colander; drain well. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel.
- In the skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes more. Stir in broth, crushed tomatoes, rosemary, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in meat, peas and carrots, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 2 minutes. Divide mixture among prepared dishes. Spread top with butternut squash. Place on a large baking sheet.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned. If desired, top with shaved Parmesan and sliced green onion. Makes 6 servings.
Minty Roasted Lamb Chops
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Roast: 17 mins
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 lamb rib or loin chops, cut 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 10 – ounce package frozen peas
- 1/4 cup milk, half-and-half, or light cream
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely snipped fresh tarragon
- Melted butter (optional)
- Fresh herb sprigs (optional)
- 4 slices hearty bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In bowl combine mint, lemon peel, garlic, the 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Place chops on rack in shallow roasting pan. Brush both sides of chops with olive oil. Press mint mixture on both sides of chops. Roast, uncovered, 17 to 20 minutes (145 degrees F for medium-rare, 160 degrees F for medium).
- Meanwhile, cook peas according to package directions. Drain. Place in food processor or blender. Add milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and process until nearly smooth. Transfer to bowl; stir in tarragon. Drizzle peas with melted butter; top with fresh herb sprigs. Place chops on bread slices alongside peas. Makes 4 servings.
- Makes:5 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Freeze: 2 hrs
- 6 kiwi fruit, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup seedless green grapes
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 6 – ounce carton key lime- or vanilla-flavored yogurt
- 1 cup orange juice or white grape juice, well-chilled
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 -4 tablespoons rum*
- 1 -2 drops green food coloring (optional)
- Fresh kiwifruit slices
- Place kiwi fruit and banana in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Place in freezer and freeze, uncovered, for 2 hours or until frozen**.
- In a blender, combine grapes, yogurt, orange juice, honey, rum and about 1/3 of the frozen fruit. Cover and blend until almost smooth. Gradually add remaining fruit, blending after each addition until almost smooth. Add food coloring, if you like.
- Pour into glasses and garnish with kiwifruit slices.