Salmon and Mixed Greens Salad with Walnuts
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
8 c mixed baby greens, baby lettuces, or mixed Mediterranean greens
¼ c chopped walnuts
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp walnut oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
¼ tsp sea salt
¾ lb salmon fillet
Ken’s Lite Accents Honey Mustard salad spray
1. WASH and spin the greens until very dry.
2. HEAT a large skillet over medium heat. Add the walnuts and toast for 1 minute. Remove the walnuts from the skillet and set aside.
3. HEAT ½ tablespoon of the olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add half of the greens and cook gently for up to 1 minute. Place the greens in a medium salad bowl. Repeat with the remaining olive oil and greens. Toss the warmed greens with the walnut oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt.
4. PLACE an oven rack approximately 8″ from the broiler element. Preheat the broiler on high. Place the salmon skin side down in an ovenproof dish. Coat the fish’s surface with 8 sprays salad spray. Broil until the fish is just cooked, 8 to 10 minutes, depending on thickness.
5. CUT the fish into 4 servings and place on top of the greens.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
PREP TIME: 12 minutes
COOK TIME: 40 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 52 minutes
2 Tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 lb sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1″ chunks
2 lg red bell peppers, cut into 1″ pieces
2 Tbsp white balsamic or white wine vinegar
1 lb spinach or arugula, torn into bite-size pieces
1. PREHEAT the oven to 425°F.
2. COMBINE the oil, salt, and black pepper in a large roasting pan. Add the sweet potatoes and bell peppers and toss to coat well. Roast, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Remove from the oven and stir in the vinegar.
3. PLACE the spinach or arugula in a large serving bowl. Add the potato mixture and toss to coat well. Serve immediately.
Black Bean Salad
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
1 c whole-kernel corn
2 cans (16 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
¼ c chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp minced red onions
¼ c balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp honey or brown sugar
Ground black pepper
1. COMBINE the corn, beans, parsley, onions, vinegar, oil, lemon juice, garlic, and honey or brown sugar in a large bowl. Let the salad marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. ARRANGE the lettuce leaves on 4 salad plates; spoon the salad over the lettuce.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes
2¼ Tbsp white wine vinegar
½ sp salt
½ tsp chili powder
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 c butterhead lettuce, torn into pieces
2 grapefruit, cut into segments
2 avocados, peeled and sliced
10 oz precooked shrimp
1 scallion, including top, thinly sliced
4 tsp chopped cilantro
1. COMBINE vinegar, salt, and chili powder in small bowl. Whisk in oil. Put lettuce on serving plate or 4 individual salad plates. Arrange grapefruit, avocado, and shrimp over lettuce. Sprinkle with scallion and cilantro. Drizzle salads with chili dressing.