Crock Pot Cauliflower Chicken Chili
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/2 head of cauliflower diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 28- ounce can organic tomato puree
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile flakes to taste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in large chunks
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- fresh cilantro
Add all chili ingredients to crock pot and stir to combine.
Cook on low for 8 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Cube avocado, cut lime into wedges and chop fresh cilantro.
Serve chili topped with avocado, a squeeze of lime juice, and cilantro to taste.
Chunky Lamb and Black Bean Chili
- 3 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 pounds leg of lamb cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup red wine
- 2 cups diced onions (about 2 medium onions)
- 1 cup diced red pepper (about 1 whole pepper)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder (I used equal parts of Ancho and New Mexico chile powder, but if these aren’t available use standard store bought brands like McCormick)
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- One 28 ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- One 14 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- Two 14 ounce cans black beans
- Sour cream
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Chopped green or red onion
Brown the lamb
- In a 6 quart dutch oven or heavy pot heat 2 Tablespoons of oil over high heat. Season the lamb with salt. Once the oil begins to smoke and the pot is very hot, brown the lamb in two or three batches making sure not to overcrowd the pan. It is not necessary to brown the meat on each side as it will dry out. Focus on getting a good sear on a few sides, about 4-5 minutes per side. Using a slotted spoon transfer the meat to a bowl. Turn down the burner to medium heat and add the wine, scraping up any browned bits and reducing the wine by half. Pour the wine into the bowl with the lamb. Rinse the pot with water.
Sauté the vegetables and cook the chili
- In the same pot, heat the remaining Tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers, cooking until softened but not browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic cooking another 30 seconds until the garlic is fragrant. Push the vegetable mixture to the side of the pan and add the tomato paste to the exposed portion of the pot. Cook stirring the paste until it becomes a dark red color, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chili pepper and mix all the ingredients in the pot cooking another minute to toast the chili powder. Add the remaining spices, tomatoes, chicken broth and lamb. Reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 60 to 90 minutes until the lamb is tender.
Add the black beans
- Once the lamb is tender, taste the chili for seasoning and add additional salt to taste. Add the black beans to the pot and stir cooking a few additional minutes until the beans are warmed through.
Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken Chili
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (such as Rotel), undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted salsa style diced tomatoes*, undrained
- 1 (12-ounce) can or bottle beer
- 1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning**
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend, for topping
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, crushed tortilla chips, and sliced green onions for topping, if desired
- Place the onion, beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, and beer into the bowl of a slow cooker. Add the taco seasoning and stir to combine. Add chicken breasts to slow cooker, pressing them into the mixture just until covered by the other ingredients. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, remove the chicken from the soup. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken. Add shredded chicken back to slow cooker. Cook for another 1.5 hours.
- Serve topped with cheese, a dollop of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, crushed tortilla chips, and sliced green onion.